I have left my employer and no longer have access to my email, how do I recover an existing account?

If you no longer have access to the email account that is your preferred contact address and are not able to receive a password reset please contact the helpdesk. This is particularly important if you have certifications associated with your old contact email. The helpdesk will ask some verification questions and then once verified are able to change the contact address so you can reset your password to another email address.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.
Powered by Zendesk